Sensory Processing SIM

·       How do you think the SIM encounter went overall? Provide a rationale.

I think that the SIM encounter overall went well. It was a good opportunity to practice empathy, and figure out how to re-word statements or explanations if the client/caregiver expresses confusion. I was able to explain information in a variety of ways, so that Libby’s mom was able to understand the information. I explained specifically how certain activities on the sensory schedule were going to attempt to help Libby be successful in her occupations. Overall, I felt like I was able to provide a general explanation for sensory processing, and the types of activities that could be helpful to Libby specifically. Overall, I was able to effectively communication what sensory processing is, explain what a bystander is, and state the benefits of a sensory schedule. Overall, I participating in active listening through eye contact, nodding, and re-stating what I heard Libby’s mom say. 


·       What would you do differently if you were given the opportunity for a do-over in the SIM lab?

If I were to do the SIM lab over again, I would explain the benefits of each activity I suggested for the sensory schedule right off the bat. When I was suggested for Libby to eat crunchy foods, go down the slide, and carry a weight backpack, I did not initially go into each activity specifically stating why that activity will be beneficial to Libby. I stated how to do the activities and when to do the activities, but I did not specify the specific benefits of each. Next time, I would say the benefits of crunchy foods/peppermints, linear movements in play, and deep pressure, as I am stating each one. I would say that it would be great to give Libby dry cereal or granola for breakfast. I would explain that those foods can help Libby receive more sensory input and so she could be more grounded and alert. I would say that a weighted backpack and jumping in place/going down a slide, can help provide Libby with the additional sensory input that she needs in order to help with her engagement. In my SIM today, I stated those things after I was asked by Libby’s mom how these activities are going to help Libby. Next time, I would go through each activity one by one and start their importance as I am going through the schedule. 


·       Provide 2 specific examples of how an attitude of caring can be communicated to a client/caregiver by an OT student.

1. Active Listening. Caring can be communicated through active listening. When someone states “I hear what you are saying,” and says back to the client/caregiver what they said, it shows caring and that the OT student is focusing on the client’s/caregiver’s words and feelings. This helps build trust that the OT student is actively listening and attempting their best to understand everything that the client/caregiver is saying. 
2. Eye contact. When an OT student is looking at the client/caregiver speaking, it shows signs of caring about what they are saying and that they are free from distractions. Eye contact shows caring because it shows the OT student is solely focusing on their words and needs, and isn’t looking at the clock, their phone, or thinking about something else. 


How will you incorporate what you have learned from this encounter into future experiences, either in the SIM lab or in an actual clinical situation?


I will incorporate what I have learned from this simulation lab when I practice active listening or when I discuss sensory processing again. I have learned the value of sitting close to the client and making eye contact. I knew those things were important, but it was nice to get practice and reinforce those active communication skills. I will take with me the importance of explaining the importance of all activities suggested for an intervention. I practiced how to address a parent/caregiver when they ask questions that I cannot confirm the answer to. Libby’s caregiver stated that she wanted to make sure Libby didn’t have a hearing impairment. I explained that her sensory processing deficit could contribute to Libby needing extra cues and directives, but if she has suspicion of hearing loss that I could provide more information. I will incorporate stating an appropriate response when a parent/caregiver addresses an issue that I am not able to diagnosis in the future. 


Comments